What We’ve Been Learning – Summer Week 2

Topic

• Can I create a poster and price list for our Year 5 fete?

We are going to create a poster to advertise our fete. We will also be making price lists and thinking about how we can engage the school in our stalls.

English

• Can I use my notes to create a journal or piece of writing of my choice about the discovery of the Staffordshire Hoard?

This week, we are going to choose how we present our work, from our notes about Terry Herbert’s discovery in Staffordshire. We will edit and improve our work using pink and purple pen. Then, we are going to have a debate about how and why it was so mangled and what happened.  

Maths

• Can I round decimals?
  • Can I compare decimals?
  • Can I convert fractions to decimals and vice-versa?

Children to understand what a whole as a fraction, decimal is and percentage. Children will choose which activity they would like to work on according to how confident they are understanding fractions, decimals and percentages.

Science

• Can I understand the structure of a plant?

Children will learn about the life cycle of a plant using key terminology such as: petal, anther, stamen, filament, ovary, ovule, nectary and sepal.

PSHCE

• Can I participate in debates about healthy relationships?

Children will continue to participate in the Great Project and learn about the benefits of having positive, happy, healthy relationships with others.

PE

• Can I learn a dance routine to 8 counts?
  • Can I understand the importance of being still and watching the ball when catching?

We will continue to improve our skills in striking and fielding games. Children will understand that there are four parts to a warm up activity, and then practise throwing and catching.

Computing

• Can I design a Viking village on Sketch-up?

Children will continue to make their own 3D animation of a Viking village

Music

• Can I create a percussion piece which reflects a Viking battle?

We will be working as a class to create a piece of music which reflects the Vikings going into battle.

Art

• Can I design and create a poster for our Year 5 Fete?

We are going to create a poster to advertise our fete. We will also be making price lists and thinking about how we can engage the school in our stalls

Guided Reading

• Can I understand what I am reading by checking the book makes sense and finding the meaning of new words?

We will be starting our new books in guided reading this week. Thinking about which characters we’ve been introduced to and talking about any unknown vocabulary.

French

• Can I learn 8 different French sports?

We will be learning the vocabulary for different sports. We are going to be making actions for different sports.