What We’ve Been Learning – Summer Week 7

Topic

• Can I understand the significance of the battle of Linisfarne?

We will be role-playing pretending to be monks and Vikings raiding their monastery.

English

• Can I create a news presenters report about the battle of Lindisfarne?

Children will learn about the attack on the monks at Lindisfarne. Children will then write from the viewpoint of both one of the monks and one of the Vikings about the raid. Children will also discuss the language which may be appropriate for monks and Vikings and the difference between them.

Maths

• Can I find and plot co-ordinates?
  • Can I understand and reflect shapes?

This week in Maths, we are learning about plotting co-ordinates. We will be reflecting and translating shapes.

Science

• Can I understand a mammal’s life cycle?

Children to use plasticine or play dough to create the different stages of a mammal’s life.  Use coloured card to label and write facts about the different stages.

PE

• Can I learn a dance routine to 5, 6, 7, 8?
  • Can I improve my running, jumping, throwing technique?

Computing

• Can I use technology safely?

We are continuing our work with Mrs Brownjohn in Computing. The children to work in groups of 3 to create a storyboard based on a life cycle they have learned in Science of Viking longboats.

Music

• Can I evaluate music across a range of genres?

In Music, we will be listening to our Charanga song and discussing what instruments have been used to the production of the piece.

French

• Can I say, read and write numbers 1 – 20?

In French, we are learning to count 1 to 20 by playing games and completing simple calculations.

Guided Reading

• Can I tell the difference between statements of fact and opinion?

This week in Guided Reading, we will be understanding the difference between facts and opinion. In the text we are reading, we will talk about what the facts are – e.g. Sarah is wearing brown shoes, and the opinions: Miss Grey was strict.